Serving as a Trustee
We appreciate your consideration of Hilliard Lyons Trust Company as a partner in your planning process
Should you wish to name Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC (HLTC) as Trustee or Successor Trustee, you may be asked by your attorney how to properly name our firm in the legal document. While the following serves as a guide, your Hilliard Lyons Wealth Advisor can work directly with our estate planners to answer questions and provide additional guidance. We are here to support you.
We should be named as “Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC” (Not Hilliard Lyons)
We request that the Power of Trustee provisions provide the following:
- Trust Powers that specifically allow the Trustee to:
- Sell real estate if it becomes an asset of the trust
- Resign should that be deemed necessary (There should also be a mechanism for trustee succession should a trustee resign or otherwise terminate their responsibilities)
- Charge its regularly scheduled fees when services are rendered
- That a successor Trustee not be held liable for the acts of anyprevious trustees or fiduciaries
- If the trust is an Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust (ILIT), we have specific language that we prefer is included in the trust document. Your Wealth Advisor will work with our Estate Planners to provide those provisions
- If assets such as farm/ranch, commercial property,closely held or family business, oil/gas interests, or personal property are, or could be, assets of a trust where HLTC is named as trustee or successor trustee, we recommend that our estate planners assist with our specific trust document provisions and planning that may be helpful
Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC
500 W. Jefferson St. | Suite 700
Louisville, KY 40202
502.588.8400 | 888.878.7845
312 Walnut St. | Suite 3120
Cincinnati, OH 45202
513.345.5251 | 800.884.1750
110 Main St.
Evansville, IN 47708
812.428.5147 | 888.426.1481
J.J.B. Hilliard, W.L. Lyons, LLC (Hilliard Lyons) and Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC are affiliated companies. Neither Hilliard Lyons nor Hilliard Lyons Trust Company provide individualized tax, accounting or legal advice. This piece is intended for general educational purposes. Please consult your accountant or attorney for personal tax, accounting or legal advice.
© 2018 J.J.B. Hilliard, W.L. Lyons, LLC.